General Terms & Conditions
Summer Break Storage, ltd. (SBS) is engaged in the sales and services associated with the collection, transportation, storage and general handling of personal property within the United States. The Customer hereby agrees that services offered are in accordance with the following General Terms & Conditions. SBS reserves the right to amend any portion these General Terms and Conditions at any time. The most current General Terms & Conditions may be requested by contacting email@example.com.
2018/2019 to 2019/2020 School Year Key Dates – Kenyon College
- Spring Semester Examinations - 5/6/19 through 5/10/19
- Residences Close – 5/11/19
- Residence Halls Open for Returning Students - 8/27/19
- Academic Calendar – The calendar defining a series of key events pertaining to the academic year of the College/University the Customer attends with dates such as final examinations and the opening/closing of residences.
- Collection Time – A scheduled block of time for Collection. Collection Times will be offered during finals week, prior to housing closing dates as determined by the College’s/University’s Academic Calendar. SBS will do it’s best to provide a flexible offering of Collection Times that are convenient for the Customer; however, the offering of available Collection Times shall be determined at the sole discretion of SBS.
- Current Housing Assignment – College/University owned housing assignment occupied by the Customer at the time of Registration and Package purchase.
- Customer – The College/University singular student or elected agent of the singular student that purchases a Package from SBS. Multiple students are not permitted to combine as a single Customer to purchase a Package.
- Item – A package/container of which the contents are the Customer’s belongings (for example, a box containing the Customer’s belongings is a single Item, the 10 articles belonging to the customer within the box are not each considered an Item) and/or large property belonging to the Customer that cannot be packaged into a box or other container for means of transportation.
- Package – The series of services as defined by SBS under these General Terms and Conditions and purchased by the Customer. A Package is applicable to a Customer consisting of a singular student. Multiple students cannot be served under a single Package.
- Returning Housing Assignment – College/University owned housing assignment intended to be occupied by the Customer as approved by the College/University for the next, consecutive academic year.
- SBS – Summer Break Storage, Ltd.
- Storage Location – Appropriate location for the storage of a Customer’s packaged belongings meeting the requirements agreed to in these General Terms & Conditions and chosen at the sole discretion of SBS.
- Summer – The period of time between the end of Spring Semester and the beginning of Fall Semester of consecutive school years as determined in accordance with a College’s/University’s Academic Calendar.
SBS sells its Services on a Package basis. The Package includes the following Services for an individual Customer:
Registration – Customer’s shall purchase Packages online through a registration process.
Collection – Pick-up of belongings packaged by the Customer at a single location consisting of the Customer’s Current Housing Assignment. Collection Times shall be scheduled by the Customer from an offering of available timeslots as determined by SBS. Collection Times shall be reserved on a first come, first serve basis. The Customer must be present at their Current Housing Assignment during their scheduled Collection Time.
- Changing scheduled Collection Times - The Customer may choose to change their schedule Collection Time by choosing from the list of currently available Collection Times a minimum of five (5) business days in advance of their originally scheduled Collection Time. Changes in accordance with these rules shall bear no fee or penalty to the Customer. Changes with less than five (5) business days notice will be accommodated at the sole discretion of SBS and may be subject to an additional fee of up to fifty dollars (US$ 50).
- Missed Collection Times - In the event that a Customer is not present at scheduled Collection Time, SBS personnel shall make one attempt to contact the customer at their provided mobile number. SBS personnel shall wait no longer than 10 minutes past the scheduled Collection Time for the Customer’s arrival to their Current Housing Assignment. In the event a Customer misses their scheduled Collection Time, they may reschedule to a future, available Collection Time. SBS may, at its sole discretion, charge a rescheduling fee to the customer up to fifty dollars (US$ 50) for missed Collection Times. That fee shall be agreed to by the Customer and paid in full prior to any services being rendered.
- Late Collection Times – In the event that SBS personnel are running late to a Customer’s scheduled Collection Time, SBS will attempt to make contact with the customer at their provided mobile number. The Customer is required to wait a minimum of 10 minutes past their scheduled Collection Time for the arrival of SBS personnel. If the Customer chooses not to wait for SBS personnel any longer than 10 minutes, the Customer may reschedule for a future, available Collection Time free of charge from any additional fees or penalties.
- Early/Late Collection - Customer’s may request early/late Collection services for dates outside the offering of available Collection Times on an individual basis by contacting SBS. Early/late collection services will be accommodated at the sole discretion of SBS and may be subject to an early collection fee of up two-hundred dollars (US$ 200). The fee for early/late collection services shall be agreed to and paid in full by the Customer prior to SBS rendering any early/late collection services.
Storage – Storage services shall include the transportation of a Customer’s packaged belongings to a Storage Location. The duration of Storage services shall be a single Summer.
- Accessing Stored Items - A Customer’s ability to access their Items while at the Storage Location during a Summer shall be at the sole discretion of SBS. Customer access may be requested by contacting SBS. SBS may assess an additional fee of up to fifty dollars (US$ 50) for accommodating access which will be agreed to by the Customer and paid in full prior to SBS allowing access.
- Shipping Stored Items – SBS does not offer shipping services and shall act only as an intermediary in the event of forwarding a Customer’s Items at the Customer’s request. Customer requests for shipping services after SBS has accepted the Customer’s property for storage shall be accommodated at the sole discretion of SBS. SBS may charge a processing fee of up to fifty dollars (US$ 50) per Item plus the actual cost of shipping and any applicable fees/taxes. Additional fees for shipping will be agreed to by the Customer and paid in full prior to SBS rendering any services associated with removing a Customer’s Items from storage for transportation and processing by a third party shipping carrier. SBS shall require sufficient proof of ownership and residence at the address where the Customer’s Items are to be shipped. SBS shall no longer be liable for any of the Customer’s Items after the Items are turned over to the care of the third party shipping carrier. Furthermore, SBS assumes no liability for the third party shipping carrier’s ability to fulfill any specified delivery time. SBS will not open Items (i.e. boxes) to search for specific belongings to be shipped.
Delivery – Transportation and drop-off of a Customer’s Items from the Storage Location to a single location consisting of the Customer’s Returning Housing Assignment. Delivery services shall be rendered prior to Returning Housing Assignments opening for returning upperclassmen in accordance with the College’s/University’s Academic Calendar. Delivery services shall be scheduled at the sole discretion of SBS.
- Early Delivery - Customer’s may request early delivery services on an individual basis by contacting SBS. Early delivery services will be accommodated at the sole discretion of SBS and may be subject to an early delivery fee of up Fifty (US$50). The fee for early delivery services shall be agreed to and paid in full by the Customer prior to SBS rendering any early delivery services. Students must be present at their Returning Housing Assignment to receive early delivery services.
At the time of Registration, the customer agrees to the purchase price of the Package and the following payment terms. Payment by the Customer shall consist of one installment to fulfill the purchase price of the Package. Payment in full, Package purchase price plus applicable sales tax to be made on 4/12/19. Sales tax shall be charged in accordance with the jurisdiction where Services are being rendered.
Upon Registering, the Customer agrees to enter a valid credit or debit card and authorizes SBS to process Payment. Other forms of payment such as cash or check are not accepted. Payment in full must be processed prior to any Services being rendered. SBS may contact the Customer via phone or email to resolve issues regarding Payment. The Customer hereby authorizes SBS to charge the Customer provided credit card or debit card associated with the Payment terms as outlined above. Additional fees in accordance with these General Terms and Conditions will require separate authorization from the Customer prior to any payment processing by SBS.
Late Payments due to declined or invalid credit/debit cards may be subject to additional penalty fees up to twenty-five dollars (US$ 25) assessed at the sole discretion of SBS. The Customer will be made aware of any additional penalties for late Payments and hereby authorizes SBS to charge said penalty to the valid credit/debit card provided by the Customer.
Packing is the sole responsibility of the Customer. SBS reserves the right to refuse Collection Services for any Items/belongings that are not packaged in accordance with the following:
- Do not pack perishable items, liquids of any type, aerosols, and flammable belongings.
- All Customer belongings are to be packed in boxes, totes, suitcases or other suitable means of restraint/collection of loose belongings. Loose items will not be accepted at the time of Collection Services.
- Items packed in plastic bags or garbage bags will not be accepted.
- All packaged Items must be able to fit through a standard door frame of 84” H & 30”W
- Packaged Items (boxes, totes, suitcases, etc.) shall not exceed a total weight greater than fifty pounds (50 lbs.).
- Items shall not be packaged in containment smaller than 12”H x 12” W x 12” D.
- Packaged belongings must be properly protected. Use appropriate packing materials, towels, blankets, newspaper, clothes, etc. to pack fragile items. Items shall be secure such that they cannot move around in the packing container.
- Packing containers must be full to the top. Partially full containers are not permitted and are likely to result in damage to the packing container and the contents of said container.
- Electronics should be packaged in their original packaging as it is specifically designed and of the appropriate size to protect that device. This includes televisions and computer screens.
- Valuable items (such as jewelry, coins, cash, and collectables), items of intangible value and considered irreplaceable, extremely fragile items (such as glass, ceramic, etc.) should not be packaged for Services provided by SBS.
- Packaged items must be appropriately secured and sealed. Use 2” to 3” wide pressure sensitive tape. Do not use masking tape, duct tape, string, etc. Use a minimum three strips of tape each to secure the top, bottom, and sides of the packing container.
- Framed posters, artwork, etc. shall be securely and safely packed in appropriate sized boxes. Unframed posters, artwork, etc. shall be rolled and packed in document tubes.
- Large items (such as furniture, chairs, bikes, carpets/rugs, refrigerators, etc.) that cannot be packed in boxes, totes, suitcase, etc. should be wrapped in shipping products designed for the purpose of added protection. It is the Customer’s responsibility to provide adequate protection for their large Items. SBS will provide Collection Services for these large Items as packaged by the Customer and will not provide any additional packaging for protection.
- All operable drawers and doors must be secured shut.
- Drawers and cabinets in furniture designed for storage must be completely empty.
- Soft surface items such as chairs and futon mattresses should be completely wrapped in plastic.
- Refrigerators/freezers shall be empty, defrosted, clean, and dry at the time of Collection Service. Glass shelves should be secured with tape. The power cord shall be secured such that it is not dangling. Customer shall leave the doors to the refrigerator unsecured prior to Collection for inspection by SBS. SBS will secure the doors prior to Collection. SBS will refuse Collection Services for refrigerators/freezers that are not appropriately prepared for storage.
- All items shall be labeled by the Customer with a heavy marker at a minimum of two locations with the following information:
- Customer’s Full Name
- Returning Housing Assignment – Building & Room Number
Each Package is subject to the following quantity limitations. Exceeding these quantity limitations may result in additional fees up to fifty dollars (US$ 50) per item determined at the sole discretion of SBS at the time of Collection Services. Additional fees will be agreed to by the Customer at the time of Collection services and shall be paid by the Customer in full prior to rendering Delivery services for the items in excess of the quantity limitations.
- Boxes up to 24”H x 24”W x 24”D – maximum quantity fifteen (15)
- Large Item – boxed or unboxed item exceeding dimensions of 24”H x 24”W x 24” D – maximum quantity five (5). Large Items include items such as refrigerators, bicycles, chairs, couches, other large furniture, televisions, etc. A futon consisting of a mattress and frame will be counted as one Item.
SBS will not store any motorized vehicles regardless of size, both combustible fuel based and/or electric, such as cars, motorcycles, scooters, wheelchairs, ATVs, RTVs, etc.
Packages purchased by a Customer are nontransferable for any reason.
The Customer may choose to cancel a Package in accordance with the following:
Cancellation requests can only be made prior to Collection Services being rendered. Cancellation requests after Collection Services have been rendered are subject to Abandonment.
To receive a refund of the Package purchase price once payment for the Package has been made in full, notice for request of cancellation must be submitted to SBS via email a minimum of fifteen (15) calendar days prior to the first day of finals week as scheduled in accordance with the College’s/University’s Academic Calendar. SBS shall issue a refund in the amount of the full Package purchase price less any applicable processing fees within ten (10) business days of the cancellation request.
Should the Customer choose not to return to their Returning Housing Assignment while their Item’s are under the care of SBS the Customer may: 1) elect to have their Items shipped to an alternate location by a third party shipping carrier or 2) forfeit their Items to the ownership of SBS.
A refund on the Package purchase price will not be awarded to the customer, full or partial, in the event of Abandonment.
If the Customer elects to ship their Items to an alternate location, SBS shall require sufficient proof of ownership and residence at the address where the Customer’s Items are to be shipped. SBS shall no longer be liable for any of the Customer’s Items after the items are turned over to the care of the third party shipping carrier. Furthermore, SBS assumes no liability for the third party shipping carrier’s ability to fulfill any specified delivery time. The Customer shall pay all applicable costs and fees including the SBS Abandonment fee equal to 20% of the cost of shipping. Payment shall be rendered prior to SBS offering any shipping services.
SBS, at any time between Registration and Collection Services being rendered, reserves the right to terminate all Services associated with a Customer’s Package at the sole discretion of SBS, for any reason, with or without cause. SBS shall notify the Customer of Service Termination via email and shall process a full refund of the purchase price for Package, including the Registration fee and any applicable taxes/fees, within 10 business days of Service Termination notice to the Customer. SBS shall not be financially or civilly liable for any damages, real or imaginary, incurred by the Customer due to Service Termination. A full refund of the Package purchase price by SBS to the Customer shall constitute the Customers sole and exclusive remedy for Service Termination.
A Customer’s Item’s are protected against loss or damage due to SBS negligence up to a value of one-hundred dollars (US$ 100) per Item. The term “Item” is as defined in these General Terms & Conditions. For example an Item is a box of which the contents are the Customer’s belongings; an Item is also a Customer’s refrigerator/freezer. This Coverage starts at the time that Collection Services begin and terminates at the time Delivery Services complete. The Customer hereby agrees that the declared value of each Item is no greater than one-hundred dollars (US$ 100) and that SBS’s liability for each of the Customer’s Items is no greater than one-hundred dollars (US$ 100).
It is the Customer’s option to purchase additional Coverage in excess of one-hundred dollars (US$ 100) per item by contacting SBS by email and completing the required declaration paperwork for additional Coverage. The cost of additional Coverage plus any applicable taxes and fees will be quoted to the customer as an additional fee and must be paid in full prior to SBS rendering Collection Services. Limitations on the dollar amount of available, additional coverage for each item may apply.
It’s the Customer’s responsibility to ensure that Item’s stored are in accordance with the Coverage provided and/or the additional Coverage purchased.
Coverage provided and/or additional Coverage purchased does not cover the following: 1) Items not packed in accordance with the Packing terms of these General Terms & Conditions, 2) jewelry, coins/cash, and collectibles 3) damage to the contents of a packaged Item if there is no physical evidence of damage to the packing container, including electronics, 4) items considered irreplaceable or of indeterminable value, 5) minor of large, unpacked/unprotected items such as furniture, bikes, refrigerators, etc including scratches, nicks, cuts, abrasions, etc., 6) any damage to particle board, press board, or other flat pack, assembled furniture, 7) any loss or damage while Items are not in the possession or under the care of SBS.
In the event that the contents of a Customer’s Item contain products prohibited under these General Terms and Conditions, and that Customer’s Item causes damage to the property of others while in the care of SBS, the Customer hereby acknowledges that the Customer is responsible for the costs associated with loss, damage, and other expenses incurred by others, including SBS, as a result of the Customer’s negligence. Damages must be paid in full by the Customer prior to Delivery Services being rendered.
Claims & Damages
Prior to processing a Claim for damages, the Customer agrees to process a Claim against any insurance carried directly by the Customer.
Claims for damages against SBS, including missing Items, must be reported via email within 24 hours of the Customer’s arrival to their Returning Housing Assignment. SBS will issue a formal reply to the Customer within five (5) business days. Should a Claim against SBS prove to be valid, SBS will process payment for the claim within ten (10) business days. Payment for Claims shall consist of the original cost or replacement value of the Customer’s Item (“Item” as defined in these General Terms & Conditions) up to a maximum of one-hundred dollars (US$ 100) if no additional Coverage was purchased by the Customer.
Third Party Agents
SBS may use personnel, supplies, facilities, etc. from other third party agents in the process of providing Services to the Customer. The Customer hereby acknowledges SBS’s use of third party agents and agrees the Customer has no contractual relationship with these third party agents.
The Customer hereby agrees to hold harmless SBS from any and all costs for processing or defending Claims against SBS. Furthermore, except as specifically outlined in these General Terms and Conditions, the Customer agrees to waive any claims for damage or loss against SBS, its employees, and it’s Third Party Agents.
The Customer hereby acknowledges that SBS employees and Third Party Agents are not authorized to make representations, warranties, or agreements between the Customer and SBS, whether written or verbal, outside of these General Terms and Conditions.
Provisions of these General Terms & Conditions determined to be invalid or unenforceable in any jurisdiction shall not affect the validity or enforceability of the remaining provisions of these General Terms & Conditions.